Dal Fry, a popular moderately spiced North Indian dal.
Recipe link : http://www.tarladalal.com/Dal-Fry-1965r
Subscribe : http://goo.gl/omhUio
Tarla Dalal App: http://www.tarladalal.com/free-recipe-app.aspx
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TarlaDalalsKitchen/featured
Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/107883620848727803776
Tarla Dalal Blogspot: http://tarladalal.blogspot.in/
From roadside dhabhas to global Indian restaurants, almost all diners serve this all-time favourite Dal Fry. A mixture of moong and masoor dal cooked to perfection and perked up with an aromatic tempering along with fried onions and tomatoes, this dal has a very pleasing texture and irresistible flavour too. The addition of nigella seeds to the tempering is a special touch, which leaves a lingering flavour on your taste buds even after you finish your meal. Enjoy the Dal Fry hot and fresh with your favourite rotis.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
1/4 cup yellow moong dal , soaked for 2 hours
1 cup red masoor dal , soaked for 2 hours
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
2 green chillies , slit
1 tsp grated ginger (adrak)
1 tsp grated garlic (lehsun)
salt to taste
2 tbsp ghee
1/2 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
1/2 tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
1 whole dry kashmiri red chilli
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes
For The Garnish
1 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
1. Wash the dals together.
2. Combine 2½ cups of water, dals, turmeric, chillies, ginger, garlic and salt , mix
well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
3. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid and keep aside.
How to proceed
1. Heat the ghee in a kadhai, add the mustard seeds, nigella seeds and kashmiri
chilli, sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
2. Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, till the onions
3. Add the tomatoes and a little water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to
3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
4. Add the prepared cooked dal, ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium
flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
5. Serve immediately garnished with coriander.